Friday, August 12, 2011

Yarn over and away we go

As I arrived today to the crochet workshop the hall was already buzzing with children in the crèche, woman in the kitchen sorting out morning tea and the crochet expert, 92 year old Chester, having friendly and warm conversation. New faces and others I've met before, we all brought our crochet hooks and much enthusiasm to learn to make some baby hats.

After hot drinks and something to eat we gathered around the table having a look at some examples of what we were about to make. Then it was time to watch the pro with how to make a chain, anyone who did not know how to crochet gathered behind Chester, we crowded around. There we where concentrating on the chain, the first of our crochet stitches. Soon after we broke up into smaller groups of 3. Looking around the room I could see clusters of teaching and learning and the beginnings of crochet hats! As for myself, well, I will need a bit more practice, despite the efforts of Yossarian who was teaching me.

After today I've got my head around how crochet works, now it's a matter of getting the wool around the hook and make a treble -easy right?! Others, I'm sure, in no time will have a completed hat, ready to send off to Christchurch. For those of you, Well Done! It was lovely to see everyone work together, a real feeling of community filled the room. We all left with balls of wool and a kit of patterns and how to crochet step by step, ....and talk of another crochet learn together :)

No comments:

Post a Comment